Work with me as a filmmaker!
My professional skills in filmmaking include: I know how to make people feel comfortable so I can capture their story naturally. I have an eye for detail without losing touch with the big picture. I think every interesting story deserves to be captured cinematographically well. May be that is why I like to control-freak my gear and understand everything about it: so I know what I can get out of it and get the results I wish. I own and work with Panasonic GH4 with primes mainly, I use professional Røde/Zoom audio equipment and Manfrotto stabilizers/rigs. For editing FCPx has no secrets for me. And of course I use my Mac computers everywhere. Work wise: I stick to my promises and make use of ethical procedures when collaborating with main characters, clients, talents and/or companies. If you like to work with me, I am here to help you articulate your ideas, capture those in a relevant, creative & personal film that touches the audience. It’s important for me that you know I do not act as your ‘supplier’. If we both act upon our own expertise and if we’re partnering up in that process we create synergy, which is so much stronger in the end. For international camerawork you can hire me through StoryHunter. I speak Dutch, English, French, German fluently and understand Spanish and Greek moderately. I greatly value transparency, humor, intelligence, self-knowledge and versatility in those I work/live close with. Not sure you want to work with me? Check this.
May be you like to hire me …
Are you in need of a professional for camerawork and/or editing? Do you share my love for intimate, delicate stories captured beautifully? I might be able to help. What I need is your unyielding heartbeat for the assignment too. I will help you liberate the story and translate that into a lucid, well thought out film. My attitude in life and thus in filming is that if I can imagine it, I am going to be able to do it. Even if that means going to places I haven’t been before. In this respect my heartbeat is a strong sign of my involvement.
Before you say yes
Sometimes doing business is similar to dating. So this is where I stand: I will truly tell you if I feel a sparkle for your project or not. If I feel hesitation I’m honouring that (and I suggest you do the same, it will most likely save us frustration). So before you say yes there might be a good reason to say no. Even though creative work can be an unlimited source of joy, synergy and inspiration, I learned over the years we need to create certain conditions to ensure good outcomes. Quality is never a coincidence. Let me say that again: quality is never a coincidence. Succes is 90% preparation and this page is my way of taking responsibility for the my part of the deal. So, hop on and read on and you decide if…
If you like to hire me, we could be a perfect fit for each other if:
1) You are in need of a camerawoman who knows how to make professional film (or item) that tells a true story;
2) You like and trust me + you are familiar with my work;
3) You know what you need and you are able to communicate that concretely (or if you don’t know you are willing to surrender to my creativity and expertise);
4) You’ve clearly decided upfront about the amount of control you want over the outcome of the film (how many rounds of notes).
You and I will not be a fit if:
1) We will not be a fit if you are unclear what you need or want from me;
2) We will not be a fit if you want to have a professional (= high quality) film for a ‘student price’;-)
3) And of course we will not be a fit if you are not ready to see yourself on film.
“Carolien, how much does a film production cost?”
“Well, what is the price of a house?”
If you like to hire me, then these are my fees: rates that are a sign of a healthy management from a professional supplier you can rely on. Prices are ex VAT. The sum of the time spent is rounded to the nearest half hour.
* Euro 695 – 995,- ± per day (camera, ex fixed fees) depending on the complexity of your question
* Euro 495 – 695,- ± per day (editing, ex fixed fees) depending on the complexity of the editing (several layers of film are more expensive).
* FREE: a general proposal
* Euro 30,- per hour for a meeting + written and detailed proposal
* Euro 0.60 travel expenses per kilometer
* Euro 30,- per hour travel time (using regular time tables)
* Euro 0,0 for one round of notes (= some extra editing, to take out a small scene or to add one)
* Euro 150,- for second round of notes
* Euro 450,- for third round of notes
Contact me here